Friday, February 27, 2009

Building the Mishkan

This year, I really like Parshat Trumah.  

It's nice to have a rest sometimes from the heavy stuff (figuratively speaking) and just talk about, well, physically heavy stuff.  Building something.  

Of course, it''s the most important thing in the world to build, and it lays the groundwork for what is to become the epicenter of Israelite and then Jewish life for centuries upon centuries.  But all we have to do is just build it.  Not sit in introspection, not help out someone we despise, not rage over injustices or sing about our lofty invisible God.... just build.  Pick up a slab of wood, and build.  That is our main religious imperative this week.  It's nice that not every second of Torah is emotionally and spiritually taxing.  Terumah - just some physical labor, and it's no less essential to Torah.  Purim too - just have a party, and it's no less essential to Torah.  I don't have the energy this week for any parsha besides Trumah.  Lucky how that worked out I guess.

שבת שלום 

No comments:

Post a Comment