That is a bad slogan.
Towards the end of my last semester at Barnard College, I sat in Butler Library for hours upon hours reading Aristotle. Most of the rest of my time was spent in the beit midrash with whatever masekhet of Bavli I was learning that semester, and working on my senior thesis at the Jewish Theological Seminary. The slogan of the Double Degree Program between Barnard and JTS is: "the best of both worlds." But all I could think of that semester was: It's just one world. The thrill of studying Aristotle was the same - in degree as well as in kind - as the thrill of learning Gemara. The library and the beit midrash were separate physical spaces, but they were the same place. Whether through the prism of Aristotle's philosophy or Hazal's dialectics, sitting there with those books was like basking in ziv haShekhina. Maybe the slogan of the Double Degree Program should be: "Come to our school(s) and bask in the glorious light of the Divine."
Ok, I see how that might not work for everyone. Fine, leave it as it. But don't say I didn't protest (at least to the ether).
No comments:
Post a Comment