Babylonian Talmud, Tractate Bava Metzia, 35b. A complicated story to explain without annoying legal background, but in the end, a certain guy could get more money in restitution for his dead cow if, rather then accept the oath of, let's say, George, he went and dealt with, let's say, Harry. The guy is depicted saying to George:
"דל אנת ודל שבועתך" - which ends up being translated into English by Soncino as "Take yourself off with your oath," and into Hebrew by Steinsaltz as "הוצא את עצמך והוצא את שבועתך" (take out yourself and take out your oath).
Really of course, what the dude is saying is: "Screw you and your little oath, George! I'm going to Harry!"
Of course, no one's going to translate the Talmud as saying "screw you." I get why not. But really - the Talmud is waaaay more colorful than translators allow it to be.
And so I say, woe to the translators of idioms. Woe to the translators of Talmud. Hoorah for dramatic readings!
And have a very nice day.
Ha! That's what I'll say next time someone cuts me off while driving: !הוצא את עצמך
ReplyDeleteHere are some translations from today's Daf Yomi:
ReplyDelete"If you're going to be my doctor, I'm getting the hell out of here."
If someone says to you, "My uncle will heal you for free," say to him, "Only a quack heals for free -- do you think I'm an idiot?"
If someone says to you, "I'm going to bring you a doctor from far away," say to him, "Oh great, so he can make my blind and then disappear. No way, buddy."
That's fantastic! What was the daf?
ReplyDelete