One friend told me she's too shy.... this from a woman who herself spills her guts on her own blog!
Others have no clue how to post.
Maybe others don't realize that I'd like comments.
Well here I am to respond to all three.
1) If you're shy, that it silly. Just be anonymous. (But don't be anonymous; at least make up a name.)
2) At the bottom of each post, it says in light blue "0 comments" or however many there are. If you click on that, then you can comment. You can identify yourself as anonymous, or a name with no link, or a blogger name, or whatever else. Clicking on that "0 comments" (or however many) link will also allow you to read other people's comments.
3) I like comments. I like to hear what the people have to say!
Now, I foresee an onslaught of comments on this post. But there isn't much to respond to this post, I think. This is a meta-post really. (Well, of course, you could comment on how impressed you are with my neologism.) But that is not my point. My point is for real posts. You understand.
לילה טוב
Hi Jenny!
ReplyDeleteI'm writing to express my sympathies.
I work in a Jewish community here in Sweden, as an educator. Every Shabbat, after the community kiddush, I run a discussion group that attracts 10-25 people, all very eager to engage in discussing Jewish texts (Parashat haShavua, etc.).
Nine months ago, I started a blog in Swedish about Torah and other matters related to Judaism and Jewish learning.
My belief was that all the people that came to my discussion groups would flock to my site and flood each post with wonderful questions and insights.
The result? Nada.
Well, not completely nothing, but most of my posts get no comments or maybe just one.
I even started giving out prizes sponsored by the education board in my community - anybody who leaves a comment during the current month is entered into a raffle and one person will win a book on a Jewish topic.
I saw a slight increase in comments, but not much.
Then there's the be-careful-what-you-wish-for aspect. About a month ago, a Christian guy found my blog and took a mention of Jesus ("New Years can be thought of as Jesus' bris...") in one post as an invitation to an inter-religious dialogue he'd been looking for all his life. He flooded my blog with 43 comments in just a week or so.
Now he's kind of calmed down, because I haven't replied to many of the comments, but it was getting a bit much.
Anyway, after a while you'll probably get 3 or 4 people who read your blog and comment regularly, the others won't, no matter what you do. I even have people tell me in person how much they like what I write, but they just won't say anything about it online.
C'est la vie!
I enjoy your blog anyway, and will try to comment more, when I feel engaged in an issue.
Keep up the good work!
Kol tuv,
Benjamin
Ps. You know my brother, Jeremy, who's getting his smicha at JTS in a May.
Hi Benjamin! Thanks for the comment! I do indeed know you bro - he even interns at my parents' shul in New Jersey. Thanks for the blogging-comments tips. Looking forward to hearing from you more.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I certainly understand your desire to receive comments from your readers, it seems to me that writing (i.e. blogging) and learning are intimately connecting. Thus, just as learning is rewarding in itself--regardless of the fruits it produces--so too is writing--regardless of the blog responses it produces. Having said that, I intend to respond more frequently to your posts.
ReplyDelete-Zeek
TOU-CHE!
ReplyDeleteOn a related note, it is crucial to remember that lav davka the blogs that generate many comments are the ones that are generating the most thought--qiyyadua liyodai chain!
ReplyDelete--Zeek
Hi Jenny --
ReplyDeleteHow is the Krochmal book? I'm so excited for you to come and share your Torah with our community here!
Love,
Ben
Hey Ben -
ReplyDeleteThe Krochmal book is a reference book I have yet to use. He's one of those 19th century Wissenschaft guys.
I am looking forward too!
The Hartman thing I work on just did a lecture on Krochmal and Kook and Conversion and the Orthodox debate. Before that, I had never heard of him. He did this whole combo: Judaism + Hegelian philosophy = Krochmal's writings. Can't remember specifics but he seems like a smart cookie and worth the read.....although reference books can be sleep inducing (for me).
ReplyDeleteOn to other things: I haven't read much, but so far, I like your blog. I'm a "lurker" --don't usually comment but I will visit from time to time!