Friday, March 20, 2009

Law.... yawn.

Turns out, I am not interested in law.

I really thought I was.  Maybe I genuinely was for some time.  But the more I listen to lectures (or participate in seminars) about rabbinic law and legal theory and how it all works, the more I realize, it turns out, I'm just not interested.  

I think it's that I'm interested in culture in general, and law is definitely a part of that, but I get bored once you separate out all of the other interesting things - literature, poetry, philosophy, humor, creativity.... and just talk about law (as though there's this separable entity called "Law.")  That's why studying Talmud is great; law and everything else are all bound up with one another.  Which matches reality.  (Also Ronald Dworkin is great to read, but mainly the stuff about interpretation, which is so much broader than just law.)

I suppose it's inevitable and likely profitable to separate out law from culture at large and study it.  In fact, I know it is.  But I realize I don't want to be part of that.  (Dad - don't worry; by this point, I wasn't going to law school eventually anyway.)  And it's not going to be a direction I take my scholarship.  

Now I just wonder why this is the case.  Dunno.  Will mull it over.  (Aaron - you're on!)

Shabbat Shalom

PS - I got new books in the mail today!  For free!  From a friend shedding some of his old books.  Shilat's "Al Harishonim," Krochmal's Yerushalayim haBenuya, Epstein and Melamed's Mekhilta d'Rashbi, and Mikra'ot Gedolot - Chamesh Megilot.  So excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment